Friday, December 16, 2011

In a jam

This year, I decided that my gift to myself would be a hobby -- something other than schoolwork and that was purely selfish.  I have long admired the blogs of home cooks who manage to work, take care of families, keep a decent home, and share all of this with the world through writing.  I don't know how they do it all.  Despite my lack of technical expertise, I'm going to give it a try.  Welcome to my new hobby.  

I love jam, and most importantly, I love the art and science of making it.  This year, neighbors and friends will receive the gift of Strawberry-Cranberry-Orange jam.  The flavor combination is sweet, yet sassy, and the orange juice seems to brighten everything on the taste buds.  No need for fresh berries -- whole frozen ones worked beautifully.


Strawberry-Cranberry-Orange Jam

INGREDIENTS

5 cups of strawberries, macerated (measure after crushing)
2 cups of chopped cranberries (just less than a 12-oz bag)
Zest and juice of 1 orange
7 cups sugar
1 package of pectin
1 tsp. margarine

DIRECTIONS

*Note:  this recipe assumes a familiarity with canning procedures.  

Combine strawberries, cranberries, zest, juice, and margarine in a large pan. Add pectin slowly as you stir.  Cook over medium heat until boiling.  

Meanwhile, measure sugar and place in one large bowl.  I like to use a mixing bowl with a handle and spout for easy pouring.  Pour slowly into the fruit mixture, stirring as you pour.  Cook until it returns to a boil.  Remove from heat and skim off any foam.

Pour fruit mixture into washed and prepared jars.  Leave a half-inch of headspace.  Place lids and rims on jars and tighten just to the point of resistance.  Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  Allow jars to rest for 24 hours.

Makes 9 (8 oz) jars.


Modified version of “Sparkling Holiday Jam,” available at www.allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment