Sunday, January 1, 2012

Chunky Black Bean and Avocado Dip with Homemade Tortilla Chips

Happy New Year!  A few days ago,  I heard a commentator on the radio discuss New Year's Resolutions.  His opinion was that we shouldn't call them "resolutions," as this automatically implies the correction of a bad habit.  Instead, we should think of them as "goals" (so much more positive-sounding, isn't it?) and rather than focusing on correcting our flaws, we should think about advancing what we already do that is good and right.  Love this!  I think with this approach, a person stands a much better chance of actually sticking to the plan.

One of my goals for the New Year involves better use of my food dollar.  I'm not talking about coupons and such (although I use them when I can).  I've noticed that my family throws a lot of stuff out.  Leftovers, lettuce, celery, and other vegetables often don't get used before going bad.  I also have a habit of not checking my pantry before shopping, which often results in my purchasing something I already had.  The other day, I cleaned out a set of cabinets that held my baking supplies and was shocked to discover four boxes of unsweetened baker's chocolate in various locations.  This takes chocolate hoarding to an entirely new and pitiful level. 

For 2012, my goal is to get maximum use out of as many items as I can.  Not only will this save my family money, but it should save some time and produce some tasty meals.  It will mean a need to think more carefully about meal planning and how I can get not one, but two meals out of a combination of items.  Confession:  I'm not a fan of leftovers.  This means that to get two meals out of something, I'll need a "leftover makeover" for the second use. 

Last night, I made a fresh-tasting black bean and avocado salad that had just the right amount of crunch and tartness, thanks to a generous dose of lime juice.  Today, my plan is to repurpose that salad into a smooth-tasting dip that can be served during the afternoon's football games. Turns out that my refrigerator also holds a couple packages of tortillas that need to get used up, so homemade tortilla chips will be a nice addition.

CHUNKY BLACK BEAN AND AVOCADO DIP
Printable version of this recipe


INGREDIENTS
3 cups of last night's Black Bean and Avocado Salad with Lime (click here for original post)
1 t cumin
1 t garlic powder
Optional:  pinch of cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS
Much of this depends upon your preferences.   I found that the salad on its own was a little too chunky to make a truly dippable dip, so into the food processor it went.  I pulsed the leftover salad until it had a chunky guacamole consistency.   Because the taste was still heavy on lime, I added cumin and garlic to make it seem more like guacamole.  If you like a little spark, a pinch (or more!) of cayenne pepper is a nice touch.

The dip tastes best if it has an hour in the refrigerator to meld the flavors.

Additional idea: wouldn't this make a delicious top to a refried bean~sour cream~layered dip? 


HOMEMADE BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS 

INGREDIENTS
Flour or corn tortillas (I prefer to use flour)
Nonstick cooking spray
Kosher salt
Optional:  seasoned salt, taco seasoning, or other combinations (equal amounts of chili powder + cumin + garlic salt = delicious!)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place one tortilla on a firm surface; spray both sides with nonstick cooking spray.  Dust one side lightly with kosher salt or other seasonings.  Use pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut tortillas into 8 wedges.  Arrange in a single layer on baking trays.  Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes, monitoring carefully.  I like to flip my tortilla chips at the 6-minute point so the other side can get crispy.  Bake an additional 4-6 minutes.  Serve with dip.




No comments:

Post a Comment